This list puts enterprise distribution options next to their community flavours, and is in alphabetical order:
- Alpine Linux, a minimal Linux distro (base image is 5MB in size): alpine
- ClefOS, a build of CentOS for s390x -- community version of Red Hat's RHEL: clefos -- comparable and compatible to RHEL 7
- Debian is one of the major free Linux distributions: debian
- Fedora: a community distribution and incubator for features towards Red Hat Enterprise Linux: fedora
- openSUSE: opensuse. For s390x, use the tumbleweed tag ("opensuse:tumbleweed")
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not provided on Docker Hub/Store, so RHEL users need to create their own images at this time, e.g. as described here
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server image are also not available not Docker Hub/Store. SLES users have two options:
- SUSE's containers module (which also provides the Docker engine) offers RPMs to create SLES 11 and SLES 12 base images: use sle2docker and sles*-docker-image RPMs which are provided in the containers module; see SUSE's documentation for more information.
- a script like this creates a base image based on the SLES host image
- Canonical's Ubuntu is based on Debian: ubuntu
Note: in this list, the images' hyperlinks point to Docker Hub, which I currently find more convenient than Docker Store -- although Docker Store will probably be the future.
Update 2018/3/29: replaced all the links with multi-arch images that work on s390x as well as on most other platforms.
Update 2018/5/17: fedora:latest is now backed by s390x content